Every year the fire department responds to more than double the residential fires than any other day of the year. Seventy-seven percent of them originate from cooking. So, don’t be a statistic and follow these simple tips for the best Thanksgiving ever.
Pay Attention in the Kitchen
Fortunately, cooking fires are preventable if you follow these tips:
- Stay in your kitchen when cooking on the stove and watch what you’re cooking. If you need to leave the kitchen, set a timer or alarm in case you get sidetracked with guests and family.
- Keep kitchen appliance cords from dangling over the edge of the counter so that children can’t reach them.
- Keep children three feet or more away from the stove, hot food and liquids, or oven to prevent accidental burns.
- Make sure to turn the pan and pot handles inwards and keep them away from the edge of the stove to avoid spills or jostling.
- Make sure knives are kept away from children or areas they can’t access them.
- Flammable items such as towels, oven mitts, and wooden spoons should be kept away from the stove burners or other areas where you’re cooking.
- Stay home when cooking the turkey and check it regularly. Don’t leave the house to run errands when cooking food unless someone else is home to watch it.
- Make sure your kitchen floor is clear of trip hazards such as toys, bags, children, and pets.
Preventative Measures to Take
There are some things you can do to reduce the risk of house fires and keep your family safe. Keep your kitchen clean and don’t allow dust and grease to build up on your stove or oven.
Make it a routine to check your smoke detectors once a month. Simply press and hold the button on the detector and wait for a few seconds. It should make a loud high-pitch sound. If the sound is weak or you don’t hear one at all, replace the batteries. Replace the batteries every six months regardless of the test and test the new battery.
If you want to go even further with safety, get a smart home security system with 24/7 monitoring and smart smoke detectors. Now someone’s always watching whether you’re home or not.
About Wain Security
For over 20 years, Wain Security has been in the business of keeping homes and families safe. We are an independently owned, full-service security & alarm company in Northeast Ohio. Contact us today for a complimentary security evaluation.